Discover the cultural and industrial heritage of Southwestern Pennsylvania
Nominate new places or
revise information. Click Here!

Linden Hall

Youghiogheny

Linden Hall

Linden HallSarah CochranSolarium

Location Details

PHONE: 724-529-7543
ADDRESS: 432 Linden Hall Rd.; RR26051
Dawson, PA 15428
HOURS: grounds open to public; May-October

Description

On September 25, 1879, Sarah Moore married Philip Cochran. Her life was forever changed, although perhaps not in the ways she anticipated.

Sarah Moore was the farmer’s daughter from Lower Tyrone Township; Philip Cochran was the oldest son of Irish immigrants who made their family fortune mining coal and manufacturing coke in the Dawson-Vanderbilt area. A year after the wedding day, the couple’s only child, was born. But the happily-ever-after picture Sarah may have envisioned was not to be. As the turn-of-the-century approached, tragedy followed. In 1899, Sarah’s husband died, and then, in 1901, so did her son.

Mrs. Cochran spent the next several years traveling abroad. During one visit to London’s St. James Palace, she conceived the notion of building an English Tudor mansion near her hometown. In 1911 construction began. Sixty stonecutters from Italy were commissioned to quarry stone on the property and then hand-cut it for the house. European artisans were called upon to cross the Atlantic to work alongside local craftsmen in carving the woodwork and fashioning metal fittings.

Named for the linden trees Mrs. Cochran imported from Germany and planted through the 785-acre estate, Linden Hall was dedicated on December 25, 1913. The final price tag for the four-story mansion exceeded $2 million, partly attributed to Mrs. Cochran’s insistence on such modern conveniences as electricity (the rest of the town didn’t turn on the lights until the 1930s), an elevator, and bathroom showers. In her prime, Mrs. Cochran entertained every day, inviting Sunday school classes to visit, and symphony orchestras to perform.

In 1936 Sarah Cochran died and her mansion became a seminary for a Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic order, then a gambling casino, then a country club. In 1976, in an ironic twist of fate, the United Steelworkers of America union purchased the estate. Maintaining some of its country-club atmosphere, the Steelworkers added a conference center and other amenities.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Linden Hall hosts holiday festivities, wedding receptions, and private parties. Its grounds and trails are open to the public.

Rivers of Steel enewsletter sign up

Rivers of Steel enewsletter sign up